Sunday, May 8, 2011

And, Again.

I learned a really valuable lesson watching the glass blowers at the Waterford Crystal plant in Ireland a few years ago. I asked one of the fellas how they could do the patterns so precisely. The answer? He said he'd been doing the same goblet, more or less, for almost 18 years now. Sheesh...

I'm gonna keep hammering this design until I'm fully satisfied. This is the thinnest I've ever gone, and I really like looking down into this particular bowl.

I also tried a different sanding technique, using a painters' sanding wheel on my drill to soften the carving bit. I think I like the end result better. I also added a little detail just below the rim and above the foot.

There's a bit of spalting in this cherry bowl, but I don't mind. It's kinda purdy.

Finished in walnut oil. 10" wide x 4" deep. Completely food safe and ready for the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment