Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sometimes, that's all you get.


I've been wanting to play with some of the indigenous West Coast trees since we got out to Seattle. And, things being things, it's taken me a while.

I finally got my hands on some Madrona. It's a pretty tree known for its peeling bark and red skin. It's also one of the hardest woods I've ever had the pleasure to meet.


I got one piece roughed out, then got distracted and set my sites on some big cherry rounds before they cracked.

By the time I got back to it, just a few weeks later, it had checked a good two inches from the bark. But, I thought I might be able to salvage something, so I started turning.

An hour later, I realized there wasn't much left to work with that wasn't damaged. So, I decided to scrap it.

Was it a waste of time? Nope. I learned some more about Madrona. I got to spend time on the lathe. And I used the time to experiment with the bevels on a few different gouges.

Which just goes to prove, even if you don't end up with something purdy after all that hard work, you will end up with more knowledge. And that's not a bad way to spend an afternoon in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment