Saturday, August 15, 2009

As We Go.

A big part of making bowls is having wood to work with. Since I don't do a lot of green turning, I like the wood's moisture to be around 16% before I finish off a piece. That means rough out a bunch of things to about one inch thick. Pack 'em in shavings, or wrap 'em in newspaper. And wait. For about a year. (That's about how long wood dries - about an inch a year.

A few weeks ago I was driving Faedon back from swim class and saw a pile of cherry rounds sitting by the side of the road. So, I left a note.

A week later, I got a call for my new pal, Jim. "Come and get 'em." he said. "All I want in return is a bowl and some shavings." He smokes fish and other meats, and likes the cherry flavor.

So, while Ash and the kids were at the pool up the street, I ran over and collected them. Two trips later, I had five, 80lb. rounds; all about 18 inches across and just starting to check on one end.

As I worked, I piled the roughs under the lathe in the shavings; averaging about one bowl a session. (I've got kids and family obligations after all, that need attending to.)


When I'm finished, I'll have 8 great-sized bowls in the waiting. All between 11 and 15 inches.

As well as one very cool vessel, standing about 16 inches tall. Just look at the "X" grain pattern on the tall one there. Now let's hope nothing cracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment