Friday, July 24, 2009

Two Years In the Making.

A few years ago while on a visit to New Jersey, I came across a cherry tree that had fallen on my wife's new mother in-law's farm. And I thought I'd like to prove it existed some how, so I asked Ashton's dad to ship a piece to me in Seattle.

When it came, I immediately roughed it out and set it aside; every so often, checking to see if it had cracked and repacking it in newspaper. When the wood reached about 16% moisture, I decided to throw it on the lathe and see what happened.

I was more than pleasantly surprised to see this bowl emerge.

It's about 11" wide and just over 7.5" deep.

I carved the outside and placed a pewter button at the base. Which, by the way, is my signature of sorts. I think it's a lot prettier than my name scrawled in the wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment